Dreams Launches New Mobile TV Channels, Raises Series A
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 15, 2018--Dreams, a TV app designed for your phone, launched publicly today with ten new mobile TV channels spanning live news and entertainment. The app’s made-for-mobile TV channels were built in collaboration with media partners including Discovery and Bloomberg Media Distribution, and include content licensed from BBC Studios. Dreams also announced it has raised a $5 million Series A financing led by Ronny Conway’s A Capital Ventures.
Dreams is available for free in the U.S. on the App Store and Google Play. The app requires no login or registration.
Dreams redesigns TV for the most important device in our lives. It presents new mobile TV channels in a radically simple interface: instant, swipeable, vertical video.
“We started Dreams to redesign TV for your phone,” said co-founder Tom Bender. “We wanted a home screen icon for fun, free TV.”
“As the global leader in real life entertainment, Discovery is excited to extend the reach of its high-quality and trusted brands through Dreams,” said Bruce Campbell, Chief Development, Distribution and Legal Officer at Discovery. “The four made-for-mobile channels we are launching on Dreams give us a unique opportunity to showcase our deeply loved current content and future shows to mobile viewers in a bespoke format curated specifically to them.”
Today, Dreams launches its first wave of new mobile TV channels (in alphabetical order):
1. Animal Planet: The premier network for all things animals. Featured shows include River Monsters, Too Cute!, and Puppy Bowl.
2. Bloomberg: The leading global business and financial news channel providing data, news and analysis to decision makers around the world.
3. Discovery Channel: Compelling non-fiction that informs and entertains. Featured shows include Survivorman, Storm Chasers, and Dual Survival.
4. Food Network: Connecting viewers to the power and joy of food. Including iconic, fan-favorite shows such as Good Eats, Iron Chef America, and Throwdown with Bobby Flay.
5. Geo: A visually stunning mobile nature channel featuring premium, long-form nature and animal documentaries licensed from BBC Studios.
6. HGTV: America’s favorite way to get entertaining, relatable and inspirational home and lifestyle content. Featured shows include My First Place, Extreme Homes, and Tiny House Hunters.
7. Newsflash: A new mobile news channel featuring live feeds of major world events.
8. Slow: Minimalist, ultra-longform “slow TV” featuring soothing shots of landscapes, streams, and rainfall.
9. VHS: Full episodes of fun shows from the 80s and 90s, including Bob Ross (The Joy of Painting), I nspector Gadget, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?, and Sonic the Hedgehog.
10. Wedding Week: A pop-up channel culminating with a live stream of the Royal Wedding on May 19, featuring a long-form documentary on Harry & Meghan and the outrageous reality TV throwback Wedding Wars.
Dreams developed patent-pending computer vision technology to create a modern, mobile-first TV news experience. The company’s software converts live TV news into a vertical video format in real-time, enabling the first-ever live, 24/7 vertical video news channels.
Dreams has raised a $5 million Series A financing to support the development of new mobile TV channels and technology. The round was led by Ronny Conway’s A Capital Ventures, with participation by NEA, SV Angel, Box Group, Scott Belsky, and Kevin Durant.
Dreams was founded in New York City in 2016 by Tom Bender and Greg Hochmuth. Tom was previously a product manager at Google, where he was responsible for new mobile ad formats on the DoubleClick team. Greg was the seventh employee at Instagram, where he joined as one of the company’s first engineers before its acquisition by Facebook. He previously worked as a product manager at Google.
For more information on Dreams, see dreams.tv.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180515006142/en/
Michael V. Marinello, 1-917-683-8610
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA NEW YORK
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: ENTERTAINMENT TV AND RADIO TECHNOLOGY OTHER ENTERTAINMENT CONSUMER ELECTRONICS INTERNET AUDIO/VIDEO OTHER TECHNOLOGY GENERAL ENTERTAINMENT MOBILE/WIRELESS MOBILE ENTERTAINMENT
Copyright Business Wire 2018.
PUB: 05/15/2018 10:43 AM/DISC: 05/15/2018 10:43 AM