2-Day Seminar: Effectively Managing Legal Risk & Preserving Reputation (London, United Kingdom - November 6-7, 2019) - ResearchAndMarkets.com
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 1, 2019--The “Effectively Managing Legal Risk and Preserving Reputation” conference has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
This interactive two-day seminar has been designed for in-house lawyers and business people who need to work together to ensure that the relevant legal risks can be well managed with reliable, but not cumbersome, processes, as well as awareness and compliance programmes.
Legal risk is just part of the framework of risk and reward which business people have to manage. Once an organisation establishes a legal or risk department, there can be a tendency for business people to abdicate responsibility and the in-house lawyer effectively confiscates the management of legal risk. Poor management of legal risk can impair the prosperity and growth of a business by an accumulation of ineptitude or the drama of a showstopper.
It is undeniable that an organisation will be more agile in today’s demanding environment if it is:
- Equipped with a good understanding of the legal implications of actions (or inactions) and the commitments entered into
- Involving lawyers in the right things at the right time
In today’s uncertain world with political upheaval having an impact on regulatory regimes and contractual commitments, legal risk can be exacerbated by making assumptions that prove to be flawed. Brexit is just one example of this. Whilst in-house lawyers cannot reliably predict what the outcomes might be, we can assist our organisations to manage the uncertainty.
A key feature of this seminar is the practical workshop on managing the multiple strands of risk - regulatory, contractual and third party - involved in three testing scenarios.
Who Should Attend?
- In-house lawyers
- Legal affairs directors and managers
- Senior corporate counsel and advisers
- Risk and compliance officers
- Commercial and contracts managers and directors
- Business development executives
- Business executives who need a greater understanding of legal risk
Introduction - what is risk?
- Identifying risks
- Is all risk bad?
Top risks for today’s businesses - what to focus on
- Corporate failure
- Product or service failure
- Health and safety issues
- Regulatory investigation
- The black swan theory
- Ultimately - what are the three things that could have the highest impact on your business?
Collaborative legal risk management
- Business engagement at a senior level
- Use of legal resources
- Review - an internal audit
- Engagement at an individual level
How to ensure effective compliance within your business
- First, second and third lines of defence
- The impact of business culture
- The chief risk officer and effective risk team
- The role of the lawyer
- How do you compare?
How to deal with major risks
- Scenario 1: cyber attack - data breach or loss
- Scenario 2: serious accident involving an employee
- Scenario 3: you’re broke!
Identifying risks - management and mitigation
- Designing an effective risk programme
- Risk registers - how to make them practical and effective
- Looking at the positive too
Implementing an effective compliance programme
- Design - who leads and who should be involved?
- Introduction to the compliance programme
- Sustaining the programme - management buy-in
Raising legal awareness across your business
- Upsides and downsides
- Elements of a programme
- Boosting credibility
*Advising the board on risk management *
- The role of the board
- The role of the audit and/or risk committee
- Preparing for the questions they might ask
- How you should respond
- Dealing with political and economic uncertainty - Providing assurance
Managing dispute resolution (including practical exercise)
- Being prepared - choice of forum and choice of law
- Practical exercise: evaluating alternatives
- Embarking on litigation - fact investigation
- Costs and funding
- Trends and conclusions
Managing legal costs as part of managing legal risks
- Scoping options - identify the end goal and agree the approach
- Billing options pros and cons: traditional, alternative, hybrid
- Triangular visibility and communication
- Tracking and review - tools and techniques
Designing legal awareness sessions for sales and procurement teams
- The aim of this workshop is to provide guidance, models and confidence to raise the awareness of risk and how to manage various scenarios within your business.
Preparing for media attention
- Media monitoring
- Blocking publication hurdles and setting the record straight
- Online remedies’
- Political dimension
- Crisis management
- Media training and response rehearsal
Self-help and contract automation
- Useful resources
For more information about this conference visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/3f8h57
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190501005452/en/
Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: PROFESSIONAL SERVICES LEGAL
SOURCE: Research and Markets
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 05/01/2019 05:31 AM/DISC: 05/01/2019 05:31 AM