AP NEWS
Related topics

Padres Park Ballot Proposal OK’d

September 5, 1998

SAN DIEGO (AP) _ A Superior Court judge said the city’s ballot proposal for a downtown baseball stadium isn’t false or misleading and approved it for the November election.

``It’s a great day for the voters of San Diego,″ City Attorney Casey Gwinn said Friday after the ruling was handed down. ``It’s time for the voters to make the decision.″

Judge Charles Hayes ruled that Proposition C is in compliance with the Elections Code, clearing the way for its appearance on the Nov. 3 ballot.

Former San Diego City Councilman Bruce Henderson filed a lawsuit last month on behalf of Jerry Mailhot, challenging the language in the proposition and the project’s lack of an environmental impact report.

He also claimed that two-thirds voter approval is required and not a simple majority.

Hayes disagreed with each point and denied Henderson’s request that the statement be changed or taken off the ballot.

``I think the judge made the wrong decision,″ Henderson said. ``Reasonable people can differ.″

Henderson said he plans to appeal the ruling to the Fourth District Court of Appeal on Tuesday.

Gwinn called the $411 million Padres ballpark and surrounding 26 square blocks the ``biggest redevelopment project in the history of San Diego.″ The project is planned for the warehouse district just east of the Gaslamp Quarter.

If approved by the voters, the project would open in 2002 and include office and retail space near the ballpark and at least one hotel.

AP RADIO
Update hourly