ATLANTA (AP) _ Police searched Ray Lewis' home in Maryland today as the All-Pro linebacker remained in an Atlanta jail facing murder charges.

Lewis' personal attorney, Ronald M. Cherry, said he could not comment on what police were looking for or what was confiscated from the home in Owings Mills, in suburban Baltimore.

The officers from Atlanta and Baltimore County arrived at the home around midnight and spent about three hours there, Cherry said. They could be seen carrying large plastic containers and loading a computer into a van.

Lewis, a Baltimore Ravens star who grew up in Lakeland, Fla., is charged in the Jan. 31 stabbing deaths of Jacinth ``Shorty'' Baker, 21, and Richard Lollar, 24, outside a bar after a post-Super Bowl party. He is being held without bond pending a Feb. 14 hearing.

Lewis' mother, grandmother and fiancee visited him in jail Sunday, and other relatives and friends have come to his defense.

``No way, no way on this earth that Ray would ... use a knife to take somebody's life,'' Lewis' grandfather, Gillis McKinney, told ESPN on Sunday. ``We always told Ray that God gives life, and human beings shouldn't take life ... and Ray's that type of person.''

``This community feels like it's been hit in the gut,'' Lewis' high school football coach, Earnest Joe, told The Sun in Baltimore.

``I only hope we will have the opportunity to be together like that ... again. Lord, I pray that'll be so because Ray Lewis could never do what he's accused of,'' Lewis' high school principal, Clint Wright, told the newspaper.

Defense attorneys have said Lewis was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, but they said this weekend they would have no further comment until reviewing the case more thoroughly.

``We're working 18-hour days and then we're still thinking like we missed something,'' Jana Harris, one of Lewis' defense lawyers, told The Associated Press.

Atlanta police detectives have questioned A.J. Johnson, a former University of Maryland player who tried out with the Miami Dolphins, at his apartment in Laurel, Md., The Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported today.

Police also want to question Kwame King, who grew up in Lewis' hometown in Florida, Atlanta police spokesman John Quigley said.

Neither Johnson nor King necessarily is a suspect, Quigley said. Both men are thought to have been with Lewis in a limousine seen speeding from the crime scene.

Atlanta police gave few other details about the crime itself. A marked police car was seen Saturday in the driveway of the limousine's driver, Duane Fassett, although his wife, Linda, said he would have no comment.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has reported that Lewis was arrested based on Fassett's account of what happened.

But Fossett's attorney said he doubts that the driver's account is the sole reason for the charges against Lewis. ``If anybody makes the assumption that my client is a star witness against Ray Lewis, that would a false assumption,'' the lawyer, David Irwin, told The Associated Press this morning. ``He's told police what he saw. And he's told police what he didn't see.''

Baltimore police Sunday would not give details of the investigation there. Previous reports said two knives were found in the limo, and receipts for knives were found in Lewis' Atlanta hotel room. Harris previously said the knives and receipts may belong to someone else.

Current and former teammates also defended Lewis against the accusations.

Lewis, 24, also faces charges that he hit a woman at a Baltimore-area bar on Nov. 30. But Howard Merker, deputy state's attorney for Baltimore County, said the case will not go to trial if the charge cannot be substantiated and has postponed a hearing on the case.

``I was there and there ain't no way he touched that girl because the security _ they know Ray _ so they grabbed Ray when the fight broke out and pushed him off in the corner,'' Ravens cornerback Duane Starks, who played with Lewis at the University of Miami, told ESPN.

Former Miami teammate Marlin Barnes, beaten to death in 1996, was one of Lewis' closest friends and Lewis wears a T-shirt bearing Barnes' image under his uniform for every game.

``He saw the pain that it caused the family and friends and it's just hard to believe he would do that to another family,'' Barnes' mother Charlie May Postell said.