North Allegheny takes over No. 1 spot in Trib 10 power rankings
Every Tuesday during the 2018 WPIAL football season, the TribLive High School Sports Network releases weekly Power Rankings. These rankings have zero classification boundaries.
The biggest overhaul to the power rankings comes as the regular season concluded and the postseason is about to begin.
There is a change at No. 1 for the first time this season after Pine-Richland lost to North Allegheny. To the victors go the spoils as the Tigers leapfrog from No. 5 to the top spot.
Aliquippa was stunned by rival Central Valley last week. While the Quips remain at the top of the Tri-County West Conference and are the top seed in the WPIAL Class 3A playoffs, the loss drops them from No. 4 to No. 8.
The other big change came at the bottom of the power rankings. West Allegheny won in Week 9, but only by seven over Moon. The Indians ended up tied with Peters Township for the Class 5A Allegheny 8 Conference crown so we give some love to the PT Tribe.
Will the changes keep coming now that the playoffs have arrived? Let’s find out as the games begin on Friday.
Here are the rankings heading into Week 10.
WPIAL Football Trib 10
Team, record, last week’s ranking, this week’s opponent
1. North Allegheny, 10-0, 5, 6A quarterfinals, bye
2. Gateway, 10-0, 2, hosts Kiski Area on Trib HSSN
3. Penn Hills, 10-0, 3, hosts Latrobe on Trib HSSN
4. Thomas Jefferson, 9-0, 6, hosts New Castle on Trib HSSN
5. Pine-Richland, 8-2, 1, 6A quarterfinals, bye
6. Jeannette, 10-0, 7, hosts Monessen on Trib HSSN
7. Shady Side Academy, 9-0, 8, hosts Serra Catholic on Trib HSSN
8. Aliquippa, 9-1, 4, hosts Freeport on Trib HSSN
9. South Fayette, 9-1, 9, hosts Greensburg Salem on Trib HSSN
10. Peters Township, 8-2, NR, hosts Armstrong on Trib HSSN
Out: West Allegheny