AP NEWS
Related topics

Brooklyn Studio Plans in Mixed Up

October 15, 1999

NEW YORK (AP) _ Robert De Niro says the city pulled the plug on his planned $150 million film and TV studio project at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, despite assurances from Mayor Rudolph Giuliani that everything was set.

Earlier this week, Giuliani announced that instead of backing the De Niro group’s project, the city had signed an agreement with another developer.

In a statement released Thursday, De Niro, Miramax Films president Harvey Weinstein and Tribeca Productions executive Jane Rosenthal suggested they were misled by the city, which leases the Navy Yard.

Giuliani said that no agreement had ever been reached with the De Niro group. As proof, he offered a May 3 City Hall news release that announced that the De Niro studio project was being considered.

``I’m a lawyer. What does it say in the press release?″ he asked, before answering. ``The word in the press release, repeated three times, is `explore.‴

AP RADIO
Update hourly