AP NEWS

Bishop adds 2 more priests to accused clergy list

October 9, 2018

Two priests who have served in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend were added today to the list of clergy with credible accusations of sexual abuse of minors.

The two names were not added because of new claims, according to Stephanie Patka, diocese spokeswoman.

Rather, Michael Paquet and Bruce A. Schutt were added because of “additional information received by the diocese regarding open investigations” in other areas, she said in a statement.

The diocese also added two additional allegations against the late Elden Miller, previously named.

The two additions were both previously removed from the priesthood : Paquet in 2005 and Schutt in 1975.  

On Sept. 18, the diocese released the first list of individuals who had accusations against them that had been determined to be credible by the Diocesan Review Board and Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades.

The initial release said the list would “be supplemented as appropriate based upon any future determinations of credible allegations.”

A “credible accusation” against a priest or deacon of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend is an accusation that, after a thorough investigation and review of available information, appears more likely true than not in the judgement of the Diocesan Review Board, and is accepted as credible by the bishop, today’s statement said.

rsalter@jg.net

For more on this story, see Wednesday’s print edition of The Journal Gazette or return to www.journalgazette.net after 1 a.m.

AP RADIO
Update hourly