Related topics

Two Teens Charged In Police Deaths

January 16, 1989

DALLAS (AP) _ Two teen-agers were charged with murder today for their alleged roles in a car chase that led to the deaths of two young police officers, authorities said.

One youth, a 16-year-old, was brought to police by his mother Sunday night. The other, a 17-year-old, was arrested early today after police questioned the younger boy.

The two are accused in the deaths of Lisa Sandel, 26, and Mark Fleming, 24, whose police cruiser went out of control Friday night and slammed into the rear of a pickup on a rain-slickened street. A police recruit riding in the back seat of the car was seriously injured.

The officers were pursuing a stolen car when the accident occurred. The vehicle was found abandoned nearby shortly after the crash.

A police spokesman, Detective Roy Hodgens, said it was too early to discuss the specific roles the two youths may have played in the car theft and chase.

Detective J.C. Davis said Ray Earvin McLin, 17, was being held at the Lew Sterrett Justice Center on $100,000 bond. No bond was set for the 16-year-old, who was being held at the Dallas County Juvenile Detention Center, Davis said.

Davis, who works in the department’s hit-and-run division, said other charges in connection with the vehicle theft are pending.

The first teen-ager surrendered while about 200 police officers, their families and city officials gathered Sunday evening for a candlelight vigil honoring the two officers.

Many in the group sighed when Deputy Chief Terrell Bolton, head of the Southwest Patrol Division, announced at the start of the vigil that an arrest had been made in the case.

Mayor Annette Strauss praised the police department and asked the crowd to pray for the hospitalized recruit injured in the wreck.

The recruit, Nathaniel White, 25, was in serious condition today in the intensive care unit at Baylor University Medical Center, officials said. White was heavily sedated and was expected to ramain so for two to three days, police said.

Willie Earl Henderson, 62, driver of the pickup, was in stable condition today at Charlton Methodist Hospital in Duncanville, said Kim Hollin, a hospital administrator.

Last year, five Dallas police officers - three on duty and two working off- duty security jobs - were killed by gunfiret. A Dallas County sheriff’s deputy was killed in the county jail Jan. 4 by a homeless man who was released from the facility a few hours earlier.

Update hourly