Judge Nixes Quattrone Secret Jury Request
NEW YORK (AP) _ A federal judge has denied a request by lawyers for former star investment banker Frank Quattrone to use an anonymous jury for his retrial on obstruction-of-justice charges, which begins next week.
Lawyers for Quattrone cited the mistrial declared last week in the case of two former Tyco International executives after one juror’s name was disclosed in some newspapers.
But U.S. District Judge Richard Owen said making the Quattrone jury anonymous ``might even frighten them more than anything else.″ Anonymous juries are used rarely, mostly when judges believe juror safety is at risk.
The judge ruled Wednesday in a closed conference with defense lawyers and prosecutors. A transcript was made available later.
Owen said he would consider other measures, such as ordering reporters not to disclose jurors’ names and giving jurors explicit instructions to ignore media coverage of the case.
Jury selection begins Tuesday in the retrial of Quattrone, accused of obstructing a federal probe into stock allocation by sending an e-mail to his employees at Credit Suisse First Boston urging them to destroy files.
His first trial ended in a hung jury in October 2003.