Maine Says Death Linked to E. Coli
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) _ The state Bureau of Health said it received confirmation Wednesday that the death of an elderly woman in eastern Maine was linked to ground beef contaminated with E. coli that was part of a supermaket chain’s recall.
Shaw’s supermarkets recalled thousands of pounds of frozen ground beef June 12 from 124 stores in New England, including 21 in Maine, after E. coli bacteria made more than a dozen people sick.
The woman, who died of kidney failure, was identified only as in her 90s and from Washington County. Geoff Beckett, assistant state epidemiologist, said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control confirmed that the E. coli in the case was linked to the tainted beef from Shaw’s.
``This is not a new case,″ Beckett said. ``This is a linkage of a case that had its onset several weeks ago and is related to beef that was already identified as problematic.″
Bernard Rogan, spokesman for Shaw’s, said Wednesday that the supermarket chain is cooperating with health officials.