Five things you need to know today, Sept. 4
Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Tuesday, Sept. 4. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. As oil continues to boom and Odessa continues to grow, the city is seeing more and more requests for sewer and waterline taps as more properties are being developed — and are having a hard time keeping up with the growing list of requests.
2. The downtown Odessa Marriott Hotel and Conference Center is taking shape with ongoing construction and new faces joining its team.
3. Odessan Peggy Dean doesn’t have an opponent in the November election but is still hitting the streets looking for support from Odessa voters.
4. While no major changes in security measures are planned for Ector County Independent School District this year, the police department has plans to offer more training to teachers, administrators, parents and students.
5. For the Straws, education runs in the family. Johna and Scot Straw and their son, Jaxon, all work for Ector County Independent School District.