AP NEWS

Bridgeport FD warns about carbon monoxide poisoning

November 27, 2018

BRIDGEPORT — As winter approaches, the city fire department warned residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide in their home.

“As temperatures drop, carbon monoxide poisoning rise,” the department said. “Be informed. Be aware.”

Homeowners should have their heating system, water heater and any other oil, gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year, according to the National Center for Environmental Health’s Division of Environmental Hazards and Health Effects.

Fire officials urged residents to install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in their home. The batteries should be checked or replaced any time homeowners change their clocks for Daylight Saving Time.

Generators, charcoal grills, camp stoves or other gasoline- or charcoal-burning devices should not be inside a home, garage or near a window. Cars or trucks inside a garage attached to a home should not be left running, even if the garage door is left open.

Residents should not burn anything in a store or fireplace that isn’t vented. Homes should never be heated with a gas oven.

Anyone who suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, should immediately seek medical attention.

Symptoms include a dull throbbing headache, nausea or vomiting, chest pain, confusion, convulsions, dizziness, fainting, drowsiness, hyperactivity, impaired judgment, irritability, loss of consciousness, low blood pressure, muscle weakness and shortness of breath.

“Install a carbon monoxide (detector) in your home,” the fire department said. “Protect your family.”

AP RADIO
Update hourly