Shawnee announces October events
PORTSMOUTH, Ohio — Things will get spooky at Shawnee State Park this month, with a full slate of outdoor activities ranging from fresh, outdoor fun to Halloween-themed events for the family.
All programs are subject to change. Notify the naturalist if special accommodations are needed for your participation. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Call 740-858-6652, visit ohio-stateparks.org/Shawnee or find the park at Facebook at www.facebook.com/Shawnee.
• Oct. 6: Biota Bike Ride, 9 a.m.: Bring your bike to the park office to enjoy a peaceful ride on Lampblack Run Road in search of wildlife. All ages welcome.
• Oct. 6: Fire Prevention Fun, 2-4 p.m. All activities meet at the amphitheater. Tie-dye your own T-shirt. All shirt sizes available for $5 in camp store. Meet a firefighter and explore a fire truck; meet Smokey Bear; Visit the bookmobile; Halloween Campout.
• Oct. 12: Freaky Friday, 5-7 p.m. Free Putt Putt 5-6 p.m.; Tie-dye your own T-shirt. All shirt sizes available for $5 in camp store. 6-7 p.m., schvenger Hunt (pick up list and return items at camp store for a prize). 6-9 p.m., enjoy the Halloween Glow during the free hayrides; Dusk, family-friendly Halloween movie.
• Oct. 13: Spooky Saturday, noon-2 p.m., visit the Nature Center; noon-3 p.m., vote for your favorite carved or decorated pumpkin; one quarter/vote. All pumpkins must be delivered to amphitheater by 1 p.m.; noon-4 p.m., vote for your favorite campsite, $l/vote; cast votes at camp store. 3-4:30 p.m., trick-or-treating in the campground; foot traffic only in campground at this time; 4:30 p.m., costume show for people and pets and Top 2 Campsite awards; 5-7 p.m., free hayrides; 7-10 p.m., Harvest Moon costume ball.
• Oct. 20: Fall hike: 9-11 a.m., Lace up your boots and gather at the Nature Center around the campfire to visit with park staff. This moderate 5-mile hike through the park is sure to please the entire family. Enjoy homemade biscuits and apple butter at the halfway point on Turkey Creek Dam overlooking the lake; 11 a.m., Friends of Shawnee State Park Inc. will provide beans and cornbread at the amphitheater; 1-3 p.m., hay-rides. Meet in the campground. Last ride leaves at 3 p.m.; 3 p.m., Raven Rock Hike, view the fall colors 500 feet above the Ohio River. Enjoy the new improved trail with a gradual climb to the top. Sturdy footwear and drinking water recommended. Meet at the amphitheater to caravan to the Preserve.
• Oct. 27: Un-Haunted Forest, 6-9 p.m., Arrive at Nature Center to sign up for a lantern-lit guided tour into the forest to meet some interesting creatures of the night. Visit the Nature Center creepy crawlies. Make s’mores and socialize around the campfire. Share the glorious wonder of the night with your family on this fun foray into the darkness.
• Ongoing in October: Nature Center hours: noon-2 p.m. every Saturday; movies at amphitheater, Saturdays at dusk, excluding Oct. 13 due to Harvest Moon Ball.