Every day can be Read Aloud Day with Briggs
This past Friday, Feb. 1, was the 10th annual World Read Aloud Day, created by the nonprofit, LitWorld. The organization’s mission statement presents reading aloud as just one of the ways to ensure that young people worldwide can experience the joy and transformation of reading, writing, and storytelling.
Reading children’s stories aloud to our kids is an enjoyable activity for both parents and children. There are so many benefits for our kids. Reading aloud to our children from a very early age shows children that not only is reading valued, but that the children themselves are valued.
Reading to our children helps them master language development, builds listening skills, and increases their attention span and ability to concentrate. It develops children’s ability to express themselves more confidently, easily, and clearly in spoken and written terms.
It develops and fosters a child’s natural curiosity, develops creativity and a child’s ability to use their own imagination. It expands our children’s horizons, quiets their fears, exposes them to new situations, and teaches them appropriate behavior.
All locations of Briggs Lawrence County Public Library have a large selection of picture books, chapter books and series books parents and children can choose together for
this special reading time. Many children’s books are also available online through the library’s free digital services, Hoopla and the Ohio Digital Library. Contact your local Briggs Library location to get started.
Young children and their caregivers are invited to enjoy stories, music, rhymes, games and crafts at all Briggs Library locations. The weekly preschool schedule is:
Storytlme for ages 3 to 5:
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Mondays
• Proctorville at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
• South Point at 11 a.m. Wednesdays
• Chesapeake at 11 a.m. Thursdays
• Symmes Valley at 3 p.m. Thursdays
Toddler Time for ages 2 and 3:
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
Other Items on the schedule for Feb. 7 through Feb. 13 are:
• Today at 4:30 p.m.: Movie, “The Grinch,” at the Ironton library.
• Today at 6 p.m.: River Valley Writers’ Club at the Ironton library.
• Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.: AARP Tax-Aide at the South Point library.
• Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.: Walk-In help Tech Tips (assistance with computers, phones, etc.) at the Chesapeake library.
• Friday, 2 p.m.: No-Sew Pocket Tissue Holder Craft for adults at the Proctorville.
• Monday, Feb. 11, at 3 p.m.: Family Board Games at the Symmes Valley library.
• Monday, Feb. 11, at 4 p.m.: Lego Club at the Ironton library.
• Monday, Feb. 11, at 5 p.m.: Free Antiques Appraisals at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 11 a.m.: Book discussion, “Winter Street” by Elin Hildebrand, at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 2 p.m.: Crochet Club at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 4 p.m.: Marble Run Mania for Kids at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 4 p.m.: No-sew Heart Pillow Craft for Kids at the Chesapeake library.
• Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 5:30 p.m.: Chalk Painting class for adults at the Symmes Valley library.
• Wednesday, Feb. 13, at 2 p.m.: No-Sew Pocket Tissue Holder Craft for adults at the Chesapeake library.