WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) _ More than 60,000 people marched in towns and cities throughout the country Friday in protest against the proposed New Zealand All-Black rugby tour of South Africa.
The marches were mainly peaceful, although in the small north island town of Matamata about 50 marchers were met by about 200 people supporting the tour.
″There was a lot of haggling and pushing and shoving, and eggs were thrown,″ a police spokesman said. One man was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.
The rallies were part of a national day of protest against the tour, which is scheduled to begin in late July.
In Wellington, the march of about 25,000 people was one of the largest demonstrations ever in the city. Protesters included children and disabled people.
In Auckland, a crowd of about 20,000 was told that demonstrators planned to take action at the Auckland-Queensland rugby match in the city Saturday.
And in Christchurch, a crowd of about 6,000 gathered after four separate marches converged in the city’s cathedral square. ---
PEKING (AP) - Zhu Jianhua, the men’s world record holder in the high jump, will compete in an international track and field meet in Tokyo starting May 6, the Chinese Athletics Association said Friday.
It will be the first meet abroad this year for the 22-year-old Shanghai student, who has a pattern of failure when jumping under pressure at the few international meets he has attended.
Zhu set the world record of 7 feet, 10 inches last June, but cleared only 7-7 at the Los Angeles Olympics, earning the bronze medal instead of the gold he and his Chinese supporters had expected him to win.
In January, Zhu canceled participation in the World Indoor Games at Paris. One of Zhu’s coaches said he was ″tired and out of shape.″ Last month, Zhu quit jumping at a meet in Nanchang because of ankle trouble. ---
TOKYO (AP) - Former Montreal Expos’ outfielder Warren Cromartie slammed his seventh home run of the Japanese baseball league season Friday, leading the Yomiuri Giants to a 9-1 victory over the Hanshin Tigers.
Meanwhile, another ex-major league outfielder, Chris Nyman, who played for the Chicago White Sox, smacked his fourth homer, helping the Nankai Hawks to a 6-5 triumph over the Hankyu Braves. Another one-time major leaguer, Joe Hicks, blasted his sixth homer for Hankyu.
The Chunichi Dragons, propelled by former Toronto Blue Jay Ken Macha’s first-inning three-run homer, his third of the season, defeated the Yokohama Taiyo Whales 6-4. ---
NARITA, Japan (AP) - Veteran Seiko Aoki of Japan fired a six-under-par 67 Friday and took a three-stroke lead after the first round of the $120,000 Uniden Ladies Golf Tournament.
Aoki collected six birdies over the 6,238-yard, par-73 Chotaro Country Club course.
Tied for second with 70s were Taiwan’s Tu Ai-Yu, who is seeking her third victory in three weeks, and Japan’s Nayoko Yoshikawa and Setsuko Masuda.
A field of 88 players began play for the top prize of $20,000. ---
HONG KONG (AP) - New Zealand and Hong Kong advanced to the final of the Dunhill Cup Pacific Zone qualifying tournament Friday at the Royal Hong Kong Golf Club.
New Zealand beat The Philippines 2-1, while Hong Kong defeated Singapore 21/2 -1/2 .
New Zealand and Hong Kong play for the $30,000 first prize Saturday. Singapore will meet The Philippines for third place, with the winner joining Hong Kong and New Zealand in the final of the Dunhill Cup to be held at St. Andrews, Scotland in October. Sixteen teams from throughout the world will compete in the final, which offers $1 million in prize money. ---
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Funeral services are scheduled Saturday for Albie Reisz, a former star at Southeastern Louisiana University and a quarterback for the Cleveland Rams in the old All-American Football Conference.
Reisz died Wednesday at Methodist Hospital. He was 67.
Reisz quarterbacked the Rams in 1944 and 1945 and was a member of the AAFC championship team in 1945. In 1947 and 1948, he quarterbacked Buffalo in the AAFC. ---
SOUTH HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) - The New Jersey Generals have signed nose tackle Charles Cook and linebacker Gary Moten, the United States Football League team announced.
Cook, who was in the Generals’ preseason camp this year, played with three National Football League teams.
He was on the injured list of the New England Patriots in 1981-82 and with the New York Jets in 1982-83. He played with the New York Giants in the 1983-84 season.
Moten was with the Los Angeles Express of the USFL earlier this season and played for the San Fransisco 49ers of the NFL in 1983. He was on injured reserve last season and then waived last October.
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) - Inter Milan’s second appeal for a replay of a UEFA Cup semifinal game against Real Madrid was rejected Friday by UEFA, the European soccer union.
Inter had asked for a replay after one of its players, Giuseppe Bergomi, apparently was hit by a glass marble thrown from the stands during last Wednesday’s game at Madrid. He was taken from the field on a stretcher.
But a UEFA appeal panel stressed in its decision that Inter had not given sufficient proof that Bergomi was so badly hurt that he could not have re- entered the game, said a UEFA news release.
The decision by the three-man panel, which is final, confirmed a no-replay ruling by the Control and Disciplinary Commission Sunday.
Inter had appealed the commission’s ruling Tuesday.
The ruling secured Real’s berth in the two-leg final against Videoton Szekesfehervar of Hungary.
The Spanish team beat Inter 3-0 in the disputed game after losing the first leg 2-0 at Milan. ---
MARYSVILLE, Wash. (AP) - Clarence Dirks, a former sports writer and columnist for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, died Wednesday. He was 82.
Private funeral services were scheduled Saturday.
Dirks played football at the University of Washington, and was a tackle on the Huskies’ 1926 Rose Bowl team, which lost 20-19 to Alabama.
After graduation, he joined the P-I as a sports writer, and left in 1941 to work in area shipyards. ---
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - Indonesia’s Ellyas Pical knocked out Chun Chu-Do of South Korea in the eighth round Friday night to win the International Boxing Federation junior bantamweight title. ---
BELFAST, Northern Ireland (AP) - Northern Ireland soccer champion Linfield has accepted an invitation to play a series of matches in the United States next month.
The Belfast-based team will play the Houston Dynamos at Houston and Beaumont, Texas, June 15 and 19, then participate in a four-club tournament at Tulsa, Okla., June 21-22.
Another game has been arranged against the San Jose Earthquakes June 26.
There probably will be a game June 28 or 29 against another team, said Noel Lemon, president of the Tulsa Roughnecks, which is organizing Linfield’s trip.