UNITED NATIONS (AP) _ The U.N. Security Council agreed Tuesday to keep U.N. observers on the Iraq-Kuwait border for another six months.
France’s U.N. Ambassador Alain Dejammet, the current council president, said the council agreed to the routine extension without any comment or debate.
Both Iraq and Kuwait have cooperated with the 1,311-strong observer mission, which has been monitoring the demilitarized zone along the border since a U.S.-led coalition force expelled Iraqi forces from Kuwait in the 1991 Gulf War, according to a report last week by U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
He said U.S. and British airstrikes on Iraq did not significantly affect the U.N. observer mission during the period from Sept. 24 to March 23.
``The situation along the border remained generally quiet,″ he said.
Allied planes have been frequently bombing Iraqi targets in the northern and southern ``no-fly″ zones amid Iraqi challenges to the zone. In December, the United States and Britain launched airstrikes following a U.N. report that said Baghdad had not fully complied with U.N. weapons inspectors.