AP NEWS

Catholic dioceses turn over documents in priest probe

October 3, 2018

FILE - In this july 31, 2018, file photo, Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette, a Republican candidate for governor, speaks during a campaign stop at LaFontaine Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram FIAT of Lansing, Mich. Schuette said Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018, that Michigan's expansion of Medicaid coverage to hundreds of thousands of adults is not "going anywhere" if he is elected governor and he would focus instead on implementing work requirements enacted earlier this year. (AP Photo/David Eggert, File)

DETROIT (AP) — Roman Catholic dioceses across Michigan have turned over documents in a state investigation of sexual abuse by priests.

Investigators with search warrants collected records Wednesday, about two weeks after Attorney General Bill Schuette said his office was leading a probe. The new emphasis comes after a Pennsylvania grand jury said more than 1,000 children have been molested there since the 1940s.

The Detroit Archdiocese says it “cooperated fully.” The Saginaw Diocese says investigators were at headquarters throughout the day. Schuette spokeswoman Andrea Bitely declined to comment.

A priest in the Saginaw area, the Rev. Robert DeLand, recently withdrew his no-contest plea to criminal sexual conduct after the judge disagreed with a one-year jail sentence. He’ll now go to trial.

AP RADIO
Update hourly