Boy Ill After Being Given Cocaine ‘Treat’
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) _ A 7-year-old boy was hospitalized overnight after apparently being given a treat laced with cocaine during his trick or treat rounds, police said today.
Ferdinan Siquig fainted as he trick-or-treated with his family Thursday. Tests at a hospital showed cocaine in his system, police spokesman Sgt. Louis Quezada said.
He was released from Kaiser Santa Teresa Hospital today and was ``doing fine,″ Quezada said.
Officers retraced the boy’s Halloween route to find where the tainted goodies came from.
``It could take a long time,″ Quezada said. ``There may be 100 homes.″
There was more bad news from Halloween:
_ In Cambridge, Ohio, a trick or treater received two small cellophane bags containing a type of explosive called flash powder, and one bag exploded when the boy’s mother accidentally dropped it, police said. It burned a hole in the carpet but no one was injured.
_ In Los Angeles, 8-year-old Eder Salazar was missing today after disappearing from among a group of trick-or-treaters. Police said his mother was watching the children as she made a quick purchase at a convenience store two doors away. When she came out, her son was gone.
_ At least three children were killed in traffic accidents. In Maryland Heights, Mo., an 8-year-old girl wearing her Halloween bride’s costume died after stepping in front of her school bus after it dropped her off. Two little trick-or-treaters were killed when they darted into a street: a 10-year-old boy in Mableton, Ga., and a 5-year-old boy in San Antonio.