Squirrel triggers power outage at Vermont Statehouse
Jan. 14, 2016
MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Electricity to the Vermont Statehouse was cut off for a while, and the reason is a little squirrelly.
Officials say a squirrel got into an electrical transformer outside the Statehouse late Thursday morning, triggering a short that caused a power outage in the building.
A generator kicked on and the building operated on reduced power for about a half hour while a Green Mountain Power crew completed repairs.
In some Statehouse rooms, lights flickered like a strobe for a time.
A doctor's testimony via phone to the Senate Health and Welfare Committee was abruptly cut off.
The squirrel did not survive.