Boy And Parents Killed In Apartment Fire
NEW YORK (AP) _ A 5-year-old boy and his parents died Monday when a fire trapped them in a bedroom where a padlocked window gate blocked access to a fire escape, authorities said.
Firefighters evacuated 20 people from the apartment building in Brooklyn.
All three victims were found beneath the window, which had a metal gate to keep out burglars, said Fire Department Lt. Frank Martinez.
The fire was started in the living room by an overheated extension cord, and the heat was so intense that appliances melted, he said.
″The temperature can rise to 1,000 degrees within two to three minutes in such a fire, in a confined space,″ Martinez said.
The four-bedroom apartment lacked a smoke alarm, said Martinez. He said 101 people have died this year in the city in residential fires where there were no smoke alarms.
Wilfredo Pena Jr. and his father, Wilfredo Pena Sr., 25, were dead at the scene said police Officer Maurice Howard.
The mother, Jaslin Pena, 24, died later at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, said administrator Solomon Torres.