AP NEWS

Woodshed destroyed in Grant Township fire

April 5, 2019

A woodshed was destroyed in a structure fire Thursday at Quarterline and Townline roads in Grant Township.

The shed and the wood stove it contained were at the 7242 N. Quaterline Road home of Grant Township Fire Department Lt. Brian Rakowski.

The fire started at approximately 2:20 p.m.

Rakowski said he was driving home from Manistee when he heard his address on the call from central dispatch.

Rakowski said he was shocked when he heard the news.

“Your heart just sinks,” he said.

The Grant and Hamlin township fire departments were called to the scene and the Fountain Area Fire Department was called in to assist.

The fire started in Rakowski’s wood stove, where he had set three logs before leaving for Manistee.

Before Rakowski left, he said the stove was at 150 degrees.

Firefighters successfully extinguished the blaze around 3:15 p.m.

“The wood stove cost $10,000 or more,” Rakowski said.

There was also a generator and chains saws that also caught fire and burned, he said.

Rakowski said he was thankful the responders were able to prevent further damage.

The next step for Rakowski is calling the insurance company and rebuilding the shed, since the wood stove is what he uses heat his home.