Diana Bodyguard Takes UN Timor Job
LONDON (AP) _ Trevor Rees-Jones, the bodyguard who survived the car crash in which Princess Diana died, has accepted a job with the United Nations in East Timor, his lawyer said Tuesday.
Rees-Jones, a former paratrooper, was appointed deputy head of security in the town of Suai, attorney Ian Lucas said. He arrived in Timor on Aug. 4.
``He’s someone with experience of Army life and he will cope with it manfully,″ Lucas said. ``He’s just getting on with his life.″
Diana, her boyfriend, Dodi Fayed, and their driver Henri Paul died Aug. 31, 1997, when their Mercedes slammed into a pillar in a traffic tunnel in Paris.
Rees-Jones, who has said repeatedly that he does not remember the car crash, suffered severe facial injuries.
Since the accident, the 32-year-old has remained mostly quiet about the events of that day, though he did write a book, ``The Bodyguard’s Story: Diana, the Crash, and the Sole Survivor.″
He says he remembers nothing after Paul, who was legally drunk, pulled away from the Ritz Hotel and sped toward the tunnel where the accident occurred, with photographers in hot pursuit.
Rees-Jones had been working in the security business in his hometown of Oswestry, northwest England, before applying for the one-year U.N. posting earlier this summer.
In East Timor, he will be working alongside U.N. peacekeepers from Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Pakistan.
He is one of two international security officers in Suai, supervising 12 local officers and responsible for the safety of U.N. staff and equipment, according to Manoel de Almeida e Silva, deputy U.N. spokesman in New York.
East Timor was hit by a wave of violence by anti-independence militiamen a year ago, after the majority of its people voted in a U.N.-supervised ballot to end 24 years of Indonesian occupation.