Related topics

Six People Hospitalized After Eating Toxic Mushrooms

May 13, 1994

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) _ A 3-year-old girl and five other people became ill after eating poisonous wild mushrooms the girl’s grandparents had picked near their Mississippi home.

The child suffered liver damage and was being evaluated for a transplant Friday.

The six, all but one members of Joe and Frances Cameron’s family, became ill after eating the Amanita verna mushrooms Sunday night. The Camerons, who were among those sickened, said they have been picking wild mushrooms for years without problems.

″The mushrooms looked just like any others, and they tasted the same,″ Mrs. Cameron said from her bed at the University of South Alabama Medical Center in Mobile.

The 3-year-old was listed in critical condition at University Hospital in Birmingham. The fiance of the 3-year-old’s mother also remained hospitalized Friday, as did a 9-year-old girl. The mothers of the 3-year-old and 9-year-old had been released.

Dr. Barbara O’Brien said the Camerons mistook the deadly mushrooms for the safe, edible Agaricus tampestris variety.

More than 2,300 people were treated for mushroom poisoning in the United States in 1990, according to a recent article in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology.

Update hourly