AP NEWS
Related topics

Fire Causes Brief Disruption for Rainbow Room Diners

December 29, 1995

NEW YORK (AP) _ Diners in the elegant Rainbow Room were stranded for a short time Thursday night because of an electrical fire two floors up.

There were no injuries and nothing was damaged.

The fire broke out around 7:40 p.m. in an elevator maintenance closet on the 67th floor of the GE Building in Rockefeller Center. The Rainbow Room is on the 65th floor.

The elevators were shut off as a precautionary measure, said Robyn Massey, public relations coordinator for the Rainbow Room. They resumed in limited service by 9 p.m., and full service was restored a short time later.

The band continued to play and drinks were free for those stranded in the exclusive eatery, where the average dinner can cost more than $50 per person.

``The dancing, the dining, the romancing is all going on,″ Ms. Massey said. She did not know how many diners were in the restaurant.

About 200 would-be diners, clad in their tuxedos and furs, had to stay in the lobby of the GE Building until it was clear.

``One thing is, we’re starving,″ said Kimberly Gutowski, 20, who waited with her brother and parents for more than 45 minutes.

The building, across from the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, also houses the NBC studios.

AP RADIO
Update hourly