Outdoors notices: Oct. 8, 2018
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220
• The Western Pennsylvania Mushroom Club is organizing a mushroom walk at 10 a.m. Saturday at Pleasant Valley Park in Murrysville. Meet former WPMC president Richard Jacob and the president of Friends of Murrysville Parks, Pia van de Venne, in the parking lot before the walk. This event is free. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit wpamushroomclub.org
• Venture Outdoors is offering a Waterfall Hike from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday at Ohiopyle State Park. Participants will hike 6-7 miles beside the scenic waterfalls and whitewater rapids at Ohiopyle. Member price is $8, and nonmember price is $12. Email email@example.com or call 412-255-0564.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center is holding a Fall Foliage and Other Autumn Wonders event at 2 p.m. Sunday. Enjoy the nature’s transformation to fall with a guided walk with Jennings staff. The program is free and requires no registration. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-794-6011.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at 8:30 a.m. on Oct. 21 at Moraine State Park. Participants will meet at the Moraine State Park day use area in the first parking lot on the right and then head out for a morning birding outing. After the outing, there will be a potluck picnic. Participants should bring a dish that will serve four to six people. Email email@example.com for more information.
• Forbes State Forest is offering a Howl at the Moon Hike from 9-11 p.m. on Oct. 24. Howl at the moon during this moderate, 2-mile hike on Laurel Mountain while learning about the history of Halloween and listening to spooky stories. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-259-2201.
• Keystone State Park is having a Family Science Night from 5-7 p.m. on Oct. 26. Bring the family to the James Kell Visitor Center for self-led activities, games and crafts centered around the theme of Amazing Autumn. Email email@example.com or call 724-668-2939.
• Cook Forest State Park is holding a Cathedral by Candlelight event at 7 p.m. on Oct. 31. In honor of Halloween, join park staff in this walk into the Forest Cathedral by candlelight and experience the haunting history that inhabits the giant forest. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 814-744-8407.