AP NEWS

De Villiers would have helped SA, but offer was too late

June 10, 2019
1 of 3
South Africa's captain Faf du Plessis, left, and South Africa's Quinton de Kock leave the pitch as rain stops play during the World Cup cricket match between South Africa and the West Indies at The Ageas Bowl in Southampton, Monday, June 10, 2019. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

SOUTHAMPTON, England (AP) — South Africa really could have used AB de Villiers’ experience at the Cricket World Cup. Even more, it could have used his runs.

The revelation last week that the star batsman made a last-minute offer to come out of international retirement for the World Cup reportedly unsettled a squad that had already lost its first three games.

It was South Africa’s worst-ever start to a World Cup, and none of the batters have really clicked.

De Villiers’ long-time friend and current captain, Faf du Plessis, has batted away speculation about tension within the squad.

He told a news conference after South Africa picked up its first point of the tournament on Monday — albeit from a washed out game against West Indies — that de Villiers phoned him the night before the 15-man squad was due to be officially announced.

“He didn’t come to me. It was just a conversation,” du Plessis said. “It was just a ‘This is what I’m feeling.’ I said to him, ‘I think it’s too late but I will check in with the coach and the selectors to get their opinion.’

“When I spoke to the coach and the selectors the next day, they all agreed that it was way, way too late to change the team on 99.99.”

De Villiers is among the most naturally talented cricketers of his generation, a gifted batsman and fielder. He played 228 one-day international for South Africa, scoring 25 centuries and amassing almost 9,577 runs at an average of 53.50.

He’s still playing the Twenty20 format in the Indian Premier League, but hadn’t played a one-day international since February 2018.

Du Plessis and coach Ottis Gibson took the idea of de Villiers returning to the selection committee, but head selector Linda Zondi said it was rejected in fairness to the players who’d already been picked.

The squad took the news in its stride last week, du Plessis said, and just decided to get on with things.

“We do feel like the news came in and like went through the team. It didn’t have a huge impact,” he said. “There was just a discussion on clarity and on making sure everyone knows what’s going on and then it was moving on.

“The team was happy to get on with business.”

After the losses to England, Bangladesh and India, and the injury-enforced absence of Dale Steyn, South Africa finally got its campaign going in England with the points split from the wash out against the West Indies.

The South Africans will play No. 10-ranked Afghanistan on Saturday in Cardiff and need to start a five-game winning roll there. They haven’t given up on making the semifinals.

“If we can get our performance sorted out, our skills, our confidence back up where it needs to be and you can start getting on a roll of two or three games, you can only really look at those things when it comes to the last week of the tournament,” du Plessis said.

___

More AP cricket: www.apnews.com/cricket and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.