Briggs Library card holders have access to online research help 24/7
Veterans Day is this Sunday, but many organizations will be observing the holiday with time off from work and school as well as other activities on the following Monday. All Briggs Lawrence County Public Library locations will be closed that day.
What if a student in your family needed to do a report about Veterans Day or some other topic when the library is closed? What if their teacher wanted them to use a reference from a magazine article or from a more “authoritative” source than they can find on Google?
All public libraries in Ohio including Briggs Library offer authoritative digital resources to its library card holders through Ohio Web Library (OWL). Digital versions of magazine and journal articles, reference resources and digital resources geared toward homework help are just some of the information available.
For instance, the student can log into OWL with their Briggs Library card and click on “Articles from Magazines and Journals.” After putting “Veterans Day” in the search box, articles from a variety of sources about the subject will come up.
The student would learn from the article “A closer look: Veterans Day,” from the journal PN dated January 2011, that Veterans Day was moved from its original Nov. 11 date to the list of federal holidays observed on a Monday in 1968 and then back to its original date in 1978.
A student could search the same term under References and Encyclopedias and get a variety of sources including a World Book Online encyclopedia reference, with the history of Veterans Day’s beginnings as Armistice Day at the end of World War One.
If the student also needed a book as a source, the Ohio Digital Library provides “Let’s Celebrate Veterans Day” by Barbara deRubertis and Thomas Sperling.
Contact your local Briggs Library so the student in your family will always have the references they need to complete their assignments.
Young children and their caregivers are invited to enjoy stories, music, rhymes, games and crafts at all Briggs Library locations. The weekly preschool schedule is:
Storytime for ages 3 to 5:
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Mondays
• Proctorville at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
• South Point at 11 a.m. Wednesdays
• Chesapeake at 11 a.m. Thursdays
• Symmes Valley at 3 p.m. Thursdays
Toddler Time for ages 2 and 3:
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
The public is invited to any Briggs Library event. Other items on the schedule for Nov. 8-Nov. 14 are:
• Today, 4:30 p.m.: Lego Club at the Proctorville library.
• Today, 5 p.m.: Crochet Club at the Proctorville library.
• Today, 5:30 p.m.: Movie, “Incredibles 2,” at the Ironton library.
• Friday, 2 p.m.: Adult Coloring Gift Bow craft at the South Point library.
• Saturday, 12:30 p.m.: “Learn Coding with Lynda.com” at the Symmes Valley library.
• Monday, Nov. 12: All Briggs Library Locations Closed for Veterans Day.
• Tuesday, Nov. 13, 11 a.m.: Book Club talks about “Alternate Sides” by Anna Quindlen at the South Point library
• Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2 p.m.: Crochet Club at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Nov. 13, 4 p.m.: Lego Club at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Nov. 13, 4:30 p.m.: Kids make a Lava Lamp at the Chesapeake library.
• Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2 p.m.: Adult Coloring Gift Bow craft at the Chesapeake library.
For the latest, up-to-date information on activities at Briggs Library, visit our website at www.briggslibrary.com and click on the Event Calendar button.