Baha Mar delays opening of Bahamas megaresort
NASSAU, Bahamas (AP) — The opening of a roughly $3.5 billion hotel-and-casino project in the Bahamas has been delayed due to incomplete work by the lead contractor.
Some hotels attached to the sprawling Baha Mar gambling resort development in the islands’ capital of Nassau were due to open Friday. But Baha Mar said this week’s “paced opening” has been delayed because the contractor “has not completed the work with an attention to detail” consistent with its standards.
“In setting our opening date for March 27, we relied in good faith on the representations of the resort’s construction manager and lead contractor,” the company said. It expects to celebrate its grand opening during the first week of May.
The megaresort touted as the most expensive project ever in the Bahamas is expected to be a roughly 1,000-acre (405-hectare) complex with hotels, some 40 restaurants and clubs, an 18-hole golf course and what’s billed as the Caribbean’s biggest casino.
China Construction America is developing the hotel-and-casino project with financing from the Export-Import Bank of China. They broke ground in 2011. Its parent company is China State Construction.
The project originally had been scheduled to open at the end of 2014, according to The Nassau Guardian newspaper.