Walker Convicted On Eight Of Nine Counts In Mansion Robbery
NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) _ An ″avalanche of evidence″ persuaded jurors to convict Calvin R. Walker Jr. of rape, robbery and other felonies in a break-in on Millionaire’s Row last July, a prosecutor said.
Walker, 29, was convicted Wednesday of one count of first-degree sexual assault, four counts of robbery, entering a dwelling to commit larceny, assault and assault to commit robbery. He was acquitted on one count of robbery.
More than $1 million worth of cash and jewelry was stolen from the Dexter D. Coffin Jr. family during the break-in July 22, and one woman was raped, according to testimony at the trial.
″There was an avalanche of evidence in this case,″ said Assistant Attorney General Michael F. Burns. ″I think they took as much time as they needed and carefully thought through the evidence.″
″We thought (the acquittal on the robbery charge) was the right verdict,″ said public defender Janet L. Novack. ″The others, we’re disappointed in.″
Novack filed a motion for a new trial. Superior Court Judge Richard J. Israel scheduled a hearing June 4 and ordered Walker held without bail.
Novack had argued that Walker was only an accomplice who received stolen goods after the break-in at the Coffin house, Summer Wind. But Burns said there was no evidence anyone other than Walker had been at the mansion during the burglary.
Walker is from New York City, and charges have also been filed against him in connection with a rape there.