Day in History: Burt Eaton, veteran municipal judge, dies
1993 – 25 years ago
• IBM regained its long-held spot as the top supplier of personal computers in the United States in 1993, nudging out former No. 1 Apple Computer Inc. by a mere 25,000 machines.
• The Parks and Recreation Board gave the go-ahead to negotiate a lease for Mayo Field with the new Northwoods League, which features college baseball players.
1968 – 50 years ago
• The cost of private duty nursing care in Minnesota will increase 25 cents an hour – from $3.75 to $4 effective Jan. 1, 1969.
• Mary Parkin, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Parkin, was crowned 1968 St. Lucia queen at Gustavus Adolphus College.
• A volunteer student tutoring program for under-achieving elementary and secondary school students is under way at Rochester State Junior College.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Burt Eaton, Rochester’s veteran judge of municipal court, died unexpectedly at his home after a short illness. Judge Eaton has been on the municipal bench since 1926.
• Miss Catherine Doty, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Doty, has been selected the Good Citizen Pilgrim to represent the Rochester chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
• In accordance with a precedent established last year, there will be no Christmas party at the Mayo Clinic this year.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Miss Madeline Mozarra left yesterday for Minneapolis. She has been city editor of the Rochester Daily Bulletin during the absence of Julius Reiter, the regular city editor, who has been in the service at Camp Dodge. Miss Mozarra was a competent newspaper woman and she will be missed.
• Arthur Pries appeared at the Rochester court house this morning to take out a license to marry Miss Clara Diersdorf. Both are residents of this county.
From news services
Ten years ago: President-elect Barack Obama said a review by his own lawyer showed he’d had no direct contact with Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich about the appointment of a Senate replacement, and that transition aides “did nothing inappropriate.” Illinois lawmakers took the first steps toward removing Blagojevich, a Democrat, from office.
Five years ago: Nelson Mandela was laid to rest in his childhood hometown, ending a 10-day mourning period for South Africa’s first black president. Michelle Bachelet easily won Chile’s presidential runoff. Academy Award-winning actress Joan Fontaine, 96, died in Carmel, Calif. Harold Camping, 92, a California preacher who’d used his radio ministry and thousands of billboards to broadcast the end of the world and then gave up when his date-specific doomsdays did not come to pass, died in Oakland, Calif.
One year ago: Republicans revealed the details of their huge national tax rewrite; the 35 percent tax rate on corporations would fall to 21 percent, and the measure would repeal the requirement under President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act that all Americans have health insurance or face a penalty. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said the middle class would “get skewered” under the GOP tax measure, while the wealthy and corporations would “make out like bandits.” A huge wildfire in coastal mountains northwest of Los Angeles continued to surge west, endangering thousands of homes; the fire was the fourth-largest in the state’s history.
Today’s birthdays: Actor-comedian Tim Conway is 85. Singer Cindy Birdsong (The Supremes) is 79. Rock musician Dave Clark (The Dave Clark Five) is 76. Rock musician Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge) is 72. Actor Don Johnson is 69. Actress Melanie Chartoff is 68. Movie director Julie Taymor is 66. Movie director Alex Cox is 64. Actor Justin Ross is 64. Rock musician Paul Simonon (The Clash) is 63. Movie director John Lee Hancock is 62. Democratic Party activist Donna Brazile is 59. Country singer Doug Phelps (Brother Phelps; Kentucky Headhunters) is 58. Movie producer-director Reginald Hudlin is 57. Actress Helen Slater is 55. Actor Paul Kaye (TV: “Game of Thrones”) is 54. Actress Molly Price is 53. Actor Garrett Wang is 50. Actor Michael Shanks is 48. Actor Stuart Townsend is 46. Figure skater Surya Bonaly is 45. Actor Geoff Stults is 42. “Crowd-hyper” Kito Trawick (Ghostown DJs) is 41. Actor Adam Brody is 39. Actress Michelle Dockery is 37. Actor George O. Gore II is 36. Actress Camilla Luddington is 35. Rock musician Alana Haim (HYM) is 27. Actress Maude Apatow is 21. Actress Stefania Owen is 21.