AP NEWS

Man takes plea deal in ’12 slaying

January 23, 2019

Moises T. Martinez admitted in court Tuesday to killing a Fort Wayne woman nearly seven years ago.

The slaying was a drug deal gone bad, police said. Martinez, 41, was waving a gun in Emily Housholder’s face to scare her as they sat in her car in the 1800 block of Sinclair Street on May 29, 2012.

Then “it went off,” striking Housholder, 38, in the head, a probable cause affidavit said. Martinez was charged last year with murder and felony murder : one committed in the act of another felony. He pleaded guilty Tuesday in Allen Superior Court to voluntary manslaughter as part of a plea agreement.

The deal with prosecutors calls for him to spend 25 years in prison when he is sentenced next month and the murder charges will be dropped.

Martinez is already at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility for an unrelated armed robbery conviction from 2017. The earliest he could be released for that crime is July 2032, according to the Indiana Department of Correction, and the manslaughter sentence will be served after that is completed.

Martinez told detectives he sold Vicodin to Housholder and that she owed him about $900 from a previous transaction, the affidavit said. A witness said Martinez claimed the shooting was an accident and cried about shooting her.

Another witness said he was asked by Martinez to fix holes in a basement wall where Martinez allegedly fired the gun used in the shooting so police couldn’t recover the bullets. Detectives later retrieved bullet fragments from the wall and clothes he had burned after he shot Housholder.

mleblanc@jg.net

AP RADIO
Update hourly