This Little Girl Has Endured so Much. Help Make Her Smile
The Sun Santa Fund -- through the generosity of the local community -- raises the funds to directly support this voucher system that provides families the means to experience a joyful holiday. Thanks to our major partner, Lowell General Hospital, local businesses, public officials, neighborhood social clubs, students and hundreds of individual donors, we have always met our goal. Every family who requests Sun Santa’s help receives it.
All donations help and are recorded by the newspaper. Brief messages are welcome.
Donation canisters, stickers and buttons are available for businesses that would like to help. Businesses donating $500 or more are welcome to submit a digital photo that will be printed in The Sun as space is available.
Teachers are encouraged to hold “penny drives” in their buildings or classrooms to involve children in Sun Santa.
Secure online donations can be made at www.lowellsun.com/sunsanta , or by mail to The Sun Santa Fund, 491 Dutton St. Lowell, MA 01854.
Mark your calendar for the following events to benefit The Sun Santa Fund ...
* Saturday, Nov. 24: The duo Zephyr (Sun Managing Editor Kris Pisarik and Paul Censullo) perform from 1 to 4 p.m. at The Athenian Corner, 207 Market St., Lowell, to raise money for Sun Santa.
Also, watch for Sun Santa’s elves from Lowell High School who will be passing out treats along the City of Lights parade starting at 4:30 p.m.
* The annual Lowell General Hospital theme-basket raffle begins on Tuesday, Nov. 27 with online sales.
Baskets will be on display at the main campus, 295 Varnum Ave., Clark Auditorium. Ticket sales dates and times are:
* Wednesday, Dec. 5, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Thursday, Dec. 6, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Friday, Dec. 7, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Saturday, Dec. 8, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Sunday, Dec. 9, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Monday, Dec. 10, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Tuesday, Dec. 11, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Wednesday, Dec. 12, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Winners will be drawn on Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 3:30 p.m. in Clark Auditorium. The public is welcome.
* Friday, Nov. 30: Former state Sen. Steve Panagiotakos holds his annual Sun Santa Christmas Party at the Blue Shamrock, 155 Market St., Lowell. The party begins at 6 p.m. Bring an unwrapped toy for the It’s All About the Kids Foundation.
* Wednesday, Dec. 5: State Rep. David Nangle hosts a celebration at Lenzi’s, 810 Merrimack Ave., Dracut, from 6 to 9 p.m. Bring an unwrapped toy and/or a check for The Sun Santa Fund.
* Thursday, Dec. 6: State Rep. Jim Arciero hosts his annual Sun Santa/Toys for Tots fundraiser at the Franco American Club, 55 W. Prescott St., Westford. The event begins at 6 p.m.
* Saturday, Dec. 8: At the Knickerbocker Club, 36 Chamberlain St., Lowell. Sun Santa’s friends at the Patriot Dart League host their annual benefit fundraising event. Entry fees are $15 per person/per event. Payouts will depend on the number of entries in each event. Big-ticket raffle prizes include a TV, a pair of Bruins tickets, gift cards, scratch tickets and a computer tablet. Watch for a visit from Santa! Entry fees benefit The Sun Santa Fund.
* Sunday, Dec. 16: The Polish American Veterans of Lowell Inc. and Ladies Auxiliary present their annual Sun Santa Family Christmas Party at the Dom Polski Club, 10 Coburn St., Lowell. $5 requested donation (children under age 12 free).