Genoa Protests Film Not Finished
ROME (AP) _ The editing of a documentary about the violent protests at last month’s G-8 summit in Italy is nearing completion but probably won’t be ready for next week’s start of the Venice Film Festival as hoped, organizers said Saturday.
Director Citto Maselli recruited the efforts of 55 other Italian directors to create ``Un altro mondo e’ possibile″ (``Another World is Possible″). Their combined 290 hours of footage documents the violence during the July 20-22 summit of leaders of the world’s most industrialized nations.
Despite hopes that the film would be ready for the Aug. 29-Sept. 8 film festival, festival organizers said on Saturday that the editing probably won’t be finished in time. In any case, the film’s creators will come to the festival to discuss their experience in Genoa.
``Film directors usually decide to work alone,″ said Margherita Pederanzini, a festival spokeswoman, noting that the collaborative documentary caught the festival’s interest. ``We want to debate the process of filmmaking.″
A 60-minute version of the film is scheduled to be televised nationally in Italy sometime in October, while a version twice as long is being prepared for global distribution.
Police arrested some 300 protesters during the summit. One protester who was hurling a fire extinguisher at police was shot dead, and more than 200 were injured.