Alle-Kiski Valley schedules Veterans Day events
Veterans Day events are planned throughout the Valley. They include:
• Allegheny Valley Hospital Auxiliary will sponsor a Thanks to Our Veterans event from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday in the hospital lobby, Natrona Heights.
There will be a POW/MIA table, a flag raffle, displays and handouts. Old flags that need to be retired will be collected. All veterans are welcome.
• Harvest Baptist Church, 224 Harvest Lane, Natrona Heights, will have a Veteran’s Day service at 6 p.m. Sunday at the church. All veterans are welcome.
• Birdville Boy Scout Troop 186, Harrison, in cooperation with Harrison Veterans of Foreign Wars, will perform a Flag Retirement Ceremony at 1 p.m. Sunday at the post, Veterans Lane, off Freeport Road, in Natrona Heights. Worn-out American flags may be deposited in collection barrels located at the Brackenridge, Natrona Heights and Tarentum post offices and at the Harrison and Tarentum branches of Community Library of Allegheny Valley. Collection barrels will be in place through Friday.
• The Kiski Valley Community Band will present a free Salute to Our Veterans concert at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Leechburg Elks lodge, 228 Market St., Leechburg. Wayne Dobos will be the guest speaker and the band will perform patriotic selections. Please use the side entrance.
• The Marconi Club will host a free Veterans Day spaghetti dinner for all veterans from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday at the club, 135 River Ave. Veterans and one guest eat for free. Veterans do not have to be club members.
• Veterans Day ceremonies will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Greenwood Memorial Park and 10:15 a.m. at Bayberry Court and Belair Health and Rehabilitation Center, 100 Little Drive. A parade will begin at 11 a.m. and proceed from Schreiber Street down Leechburg Road to the Veterans of Foreign Wars on Wildlife Lodge Road, where there will be a ceremony at noon.
• A service with placing of wreaths will be at 9:15 a.m. Saturday at the monument in Roosevelt Park. The parade will line up at 9:30 a.m. at the public safety building. Any organization wishing to participate is welcome. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. and proceed down Fifth Avenue to Eighth Street, left on Eighth to Barnes Street, to the Gold Star Mothers Monument where there will be a brief service. Sponsored by the Joint Veterans Committee. A free lunch for veterans will be afterward at Knead Community Café, 1011 Barnes St. Details: Jerry, 724-335-5632 or 724-448-0162
• Oakmont Historical Society will host a Veterans Day Open House from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday at the society, 628 Allegheny River Blvd. A moment of silence will be observed at 2 p.m. in memory of Capt. Joseph L. Luciana Jr. There will be a raffle for veterans any active duty military members. Refreshments will be served. The event is sponsored by Oakmont Realty, Cosnotti Co. and the historical society.
• Transfiguration Parish, 100 McKrell Road, Russellton, will host a Veteran’s Day Salute and Mass at noon Sunday at the church. Refreshments will be served afterward.