Investigators blame smoking materials for fatal fire

February 20, 2018

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Authorities blame discarded smoking materials for an apartment fire that killed a Cedar Rapids man.

Cedar Rapids Fire Department investigators on Tuesday said the smoking materials ignited a chair inside the apartment, causing the Saturday morning fire.

When firefighters entered the apartment, they found 57-year-old Thomas Jones inside, near the chair.

Jones was taken to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, where he died Saturday afternoon.

Update hourly