A Decade After Sex Discrimination Lawsuit, Newswoman Loses Talk-Show Job
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) _ Christine Craft was fired from her radio talk-show job a week after the 10- year anniversary of her sexual discrimination lawsuit against a TV station that had demoted her.
Rick Eytcheson, general manager of KFBK, said he told Craft on Monday that he had decided ″not to renew her program.″
He wouldn’t go into the reasons. ″I can’t get into all that; it wouldn’t serve any purpose.″
Craft, 48, who had been on a two-week leave, declined to comment.
During her leave, she appeared as a guest on ″Good Morning, America″ where she criticized what she perceived as too many white, conservative male radio talk-show hosts across the country.
Craft made broadcast history when she sued a Kansas City TV station and its owner, Metromedia, alleging she was demoted from anchor to reporter because she was ″too old, too ugly and not deferential enough to men.″
In 1986, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear her case, ending years of litigation. Two federal court juries had found in her favor, but both times an appellate court reversed the verdicts.
Hired by KFBK in June 1990, Craft developed a reputation as a controversial and maverick liberal talk-show host. Earlier this month, she got into a heated on-air skirmish with conservative former U.S. Senate candidate Bruce Herschensohn.
Last year, she was pulled off the air for a couple days after asking whether the Rodney King verdict would have been different had King been white and the police officers black. Eytcheson said she had received death threats and he feared her comments might incite unrest.