AP NEWS

YMCA Early Learning Center evacuated after heating problem

January 25, 2019

GREENWICH — A malfunctioning burner unit caused a brief evacuation of youngsters and staff at the YMCA of Greenwich Early Learning Center on St. Roch Avenue Friday morning.

An unusual odor was detected in the building, and the Southern Connecticut Gas was called, according to Wesley Chang, Director of Facilities at the YMCA. As a precaution, the building was briefly evacuated while workers checked the heating unit and determined there was no safety risk.

“We evacuated just to be safe,” he said.

The kids and staff returned after a short time, and child-care operations continued through the morning. Further maintenance at the site will take place later, Chang said.

Parents were notified about the situation.

The gas company left the site by noon. The building was still warm in the late morning, but the heat had been turned off.

AP RADIO
Update hourly