Ridge Spring garden clubs to hold annual tour of homes
Fans of historic homes are in for a treat during the Ridge Spring Tour of Homes. This year’s tour will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9, in Ridge Spring.
Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at any home on the tour or Ridge Spring Baptist Church. Cakes and apple cider will be served in Elizabeth Cumbee’s Cabana located behind her home at 4580 Columbia Highway N., Ridge Spring.
The tour is sponsored by the Green Thumb Garden Club and assisted by the Ridge Spring Garden Club. All proceeds will benefit the maintenance and renovation of Immanuel Lutheran Church.
This year’s tour locations include The Clinton Ward House, The Sheppard Jones House, Magnolia Shadows Equestrian Resort, Elizabeth Cumbee’s Event Venue, Ridge Spring Baptist Church, Immanuel Lutheran Church and Spann United Methodist Church.
The Clinton Ward House, 104 Mount Alpha Road, Ward
The oldest and one of the finest houses in the village of Ward was built about 1850 by Captain Clinton Ward, the town’s founder. In 1850 he married Martha Lott.
Architecturally, the Ward House is a Greek Revival Raised Cottage. The style is called raised because it is on a high foundation. The house has a ground-floor storage room and a curved tunnel, both under the main floor.
A playhouse was built for Josephine, the Ward’s only child, who died suddenly at the age of 6.
In the Ward’s day the house had elaborate grounds. A grape vine had red grapes on one end and white grapes on the other. The plantings included cherry trees, boxwoods, and old roses. Live deer, Angora Goats, and peafowl roamed the garden.
Today the home is owned by Dr. and Mrs. Rod Lewis. Dr. Lewis is presently serving as the pastor at Hollywood Baptist Church.
The Sheppard Jones House, 208 Green St., Ridge Spring
On the west side of Green Street in Ridge Spring adjacent to the Episcopal Church yard stands a stately house built by Sheppard Jones. Jones married Irene Bomar, a Ridge Spring girl. The couple was gifted the property on which the house sits by Irene’s mother, Frances Bomar.
Among the house’s many outstanding features are the paired columns across the front porch and side carport, the three tall chimneys, and the large trellises on the front porch.
Presently the house is owned by Martha Rose Wise. Mrs. Wise owns and operates White Rose Eclectics, a ladies clothing business, on Pendleton Street in Aiken.
Magnolia Shadows Equestrian Resort, 595 Engineer Road, Ridge Spring
Andrea Cerofolini purchased the Ergle House in 2015 from Layton and Caroline Quinn. The house was built in 1895 by the Ergle family who began a pecan farm on the property. The house features the original tobacco barn shutters, beadboard walls, tall baseboards, antique furnishings, and a balcony overlooking the dark-bottomed lap pool and patio.
The property also features seven paddocks with run-in sheds, a barn with matted stalls, feed and tack room, an outdoor exercise arena, fenced-in pastures, six horse trailer RV hook up sites, the main house, and the adjoining apartment. Recently renovations have been completed on the secondary barn, turning it into a restaurant that will serve Italian food and wine.
Elizabeth Cumbee’s Event Venue, 4580 Columbia Highway N., Ridge Spring
In 1978 Elizabeth and her late husband Randy Cumbee acquired 10 acres on which to build their home on Columbia Highway N. near Ridge Spring.
In 2015 Elizabeth, added a 1,200 square foot Cabana behind the house to serve as an event venue for weddings, receptions, parties and anniversary dinners. The Cabana contains a full kitchen, cozy stone fireplace, sofa area, dining table which seats 10 and a bath.
The Green Thumb and Ridge Garden Clubs will be serving their delicious cakes and hot apple cider from Watsonia Farms in the Cabana.
Ridge Spring Baptist Church, 108 Church Circle, Ridge Spring
Also included in the tour is Ridge Spring Baptist Church which was established in 1856. The vestibule and sanctuary will be decorated in a gold and burgundy theme and accented with red poinsettias given by church members. The restored Carillon Bell System will play Christmas songs from the steeple during the tour.
Immanuel Lutheran Church, 206 Boatwright St., Ridge Spring
This church was completed in 1923. It is graced with beautiful stained glass windows, two Sunday school rooms which have never been painted and 13 pine pews. The church has never had indoor plumbing. The final service was held in 1986, and was deeded to the Green Thumb Garden Club along with the 2 acre lot on which it stands.
Spann United Methodist Church, 150 Church St., Ward
This church was founded about 1 mile north of its present location soon after John Spann came to the Ridge in 1794. The congregation moved to the present site in 1840. In 1873, the sanctuary was built as a simple foursquare structure with a neoclassical portico. The tapered columns and curved windows show a Victorian influence on this Greek Revival building which has survived almost unchanged for 145 years.