AP NEWS

Firefighters rescue woman locked in basement; fire door rusted shut, Madison Fire says

July 4, 2018

A woman who accidentally locked herself in a South Side basement Monday pulled a fire alarm to get out, because the fire escape door was rusted shut.

The incident happened around noon at the Villager Mall, 2300 S. Park St., the Madison Fire Department said.

The unidentified woman didn’t have a cellphone with her and nobody knew she was in the basement.

“When she attempted to use the fire escape door, it was found to be rusted shut,” said spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster. “She determined her next best exit strategy was to pull the fire alarm.”

Ladder Co. 6 responded to the alarm, and saw the pull alarm was activated in the basement.

“Upon entering the basement, firefighters heard the sounds of someone pounding on a steel door,” Schuster said. “The crew was able to open the door and free the woman.”

Building maintenance was contacted to get the fire escape door replaced.

The woman wasn’t injured.

AP RADIO
Update hourly