Related topics

Man Held In Killing Of Two, Abductions Of Family, Woman

May 6, 1988

GIRARD, Pa. (AP) _ A man apparently angry about being romantically spurned shot an elderly couple to death in their sleep Thursday and abducted the woman who had rejected him, authorities said. He later surrendered without resistance.

Donald Harry Fultz, 35, of Union City was jailed without bail on charges of homicide, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, reckless endangerment, robbery, burglary and simple assault, state police said.

Dr. Elvira Mary Love, 69, and her accountant husband, Malcolm Frank Love, believed to be in his 70s, were killed around 5:20 a.m. in their home in this northwestern Pennsylvania community, said Coroner Merle Wood. The woman who spurned Fultz, Josephine Baxter, had been staying with them, authorities said.

The crime spree also included the earlier abduction of a family of four, who were released before the couple were shot, authorities said. Neither the family members nor the woman who was abducted later was injured.

The Loves operated a drug and alcohol treatment clinic out of their home. They had recently moved to Girard from Union City, taking the clinic with them, police said.

Police said Fultz had been a resident of the couple’s treatment center in both communities. Authorities did not know when he last stayed there, nor whether Ms. Baxter also was a patient at the clinic.

State police said Fultz made a statement to police that revealed the motive for the killings, but they declined to disclose what he said.

State police said they first received a complaint late Wednesday from Paul A. Fultz, 30, of Centerville that his brother Donald had held a knife to his throat because he wouldn’t give him guns.

About 3 a.m. Thursday, several miles away near Spartansburg, Donald Fultz entered the home of William Morris, 44, his wife, Dea, 43, and their sons, Robert and William, both 15, police said.

The intruder forced them to drive him approximately 50 miles to Girard, where they were released unharmed.

After the fatal shots were fired, the assailant left in the Loves’ car, holding a gun to the woman’s head.

Robert McClelland, a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation worker who had heard about the abducted woman on the police radio, said he spotted Fultz lying on muddy ground in a wooded area along a highway near Grand Valley while state police officers were searching nearby.

″I could see his leg and shoes″ 35 to 40 yards from the road, said McClelland, 51. ″I ordered him to stand up and put his hands above his head.″ Fultz left his gun and his last hostage in the car, McClelland said, adding that the woman ″was crying and carrying on″ but was not injured.

The state troopers took Fultz into custody, McClelland said.

According to Erie County Court records, Fultz in 1981 was sentenced to serve from two to five years in a state prison for aggravated assault and making terroristic threats. Last November, he was sentenced to six to 12 months in prison for criminal trespass. He was paroled Jan. 20.

Update hourly