3 Indiana U. Students Die in House Fire
May. 24, 2004
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) _ Three Indiana University students died after a fire at an off-campus house.
The body of L. Jacob Surface, 21, was found Saturday on the first floor of the house, and Joseph Alexander, 21, was pronounced dead later at Bloomington Hospital, Monroe County Coroner Dave Toumey said.
Nicholas Habicht, 20, died Sunday, said Sharon Williams, a spokeswoman for Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. A fourth man who was in the house, Paul Dayment, 21, was in fair condition Sunday, Williams said.
Surface and Alexander appeared to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the small fire that was quickly extinguished, Toumey said. No cause of death was available for Habicht.
The four man, all from Greenwood south of Indianapolis, were part of a close-knit group of friends, friends said.
Dayment, Habicht and Alexander lived in the house and were on the second floor. Surface ,who lived nearby, was on the couch downstairs, officials said.