4 Hampshire College workers suffer from CO poisoning
Feb. 03, 2015
AMHERST, Mass. (AP) — Four Hampshire College employees had to be taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after a boiler malfunctioned in the cafeteria.
The Amherst Fire Department was called to the college's dining hall at about 3:30 p.m. Monday after two people reported shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Before the ambulance arrived, a third person complained of similar symptoms. A fourth victim went home first before being taken to the hospital. All four worked in the dining hall.
Fire Chief Tim Nelson tells The Republican (http://bit.ly/1vpW3rm) newspaper that medics suspected carbon monoxide.
The dining hall was evacuated.
At first firefighters thought a vent may have been blocked by snow, but eventually determined that one of two boilers in the building was malfunctioning.
The dining hall later reopened on one boiler.
Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/