Two Oklahoma Teens Missing For Four Years Reportedly Seen in Miami
Apr. 24, 1985
MIAMI (AP) _ Two 17-year-old girls who were abducted from the Oklahoma State Fair four years ago have been seen in Miami and a police task force has launched a search for them, an official said Tuesday.
Charlotte June Kinsey and Cinda Leann Pallett were kidnapped in Oklahoma City as 13-year-olds and have been seen in the Miami area several times in the past two months, said Metro-Dade police Lt. Denis Shaw.
Pictures and information about the pair have been circulated in nationwide bulletins, as is information about hundreds of other missing juveniles.
''This networking of information about missing juveniles is an up-and- coming development,'' said Metro-Dade police Cmdr. William Johnson.
Members of a Metro-Miami task force are combing northwestern Dade County for the girls, Shaw said.
The two were last seen Sept. 26, 1981, at the Oklahoma State Fair. Witnesses said the girls left the fair with a man. Earlier that day, they had telephoned their parents to say a man had offered them a job unloading stuffed animals.
Since the girls' disappearance, Oklahoma police have received leads from as far away as Germany, Johnson said.
''We don't want to build up false hopes,'' he said. ''We feel confident that these girls are one and the same, but they could be look-alikes.''
The mothers of the two girls said Tuesday in Oklahoma that years of false leads have tempered their optimism.
''We're trying our best to take it with a grain of salt,'' said Norma Pallett. ''It's such an awful letdown when you find out there's nothing to the story.''
Both she and Pearla Peterson, Charlotte's mother, said they were poised to fly to Miami ''if it's an accurate sighting.''
After police received the first indications that the girls might be in the county, officers carried their pictures with them, Johnson said.
''They got some information from the northwest section of the county that they were seen around there for some time,'' Johnson said. The girls apparently were using names similar to their real ones, he said.
Oklahoma City police formed a task force in 1981 to search for the girls - only the second time in the department's history that such an effort had been organized. The first was an investigation of six slayings at a restaurant in 1978.