ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) _ City health inspectors tested restaurant workers at the Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort following an outbreak of food poisoning.

The city shut down the New Delhi Deli Friday and allowed it to reopen the next night after the deli threw away its old food, said Denise Nelson, chief sanitarian for the city health department.

Five people who ate at the restaurant have been hospitalized with salmonella poisoning, including three who remained hospitalized Monday, Nelson said. Investigators suspect chicken was the source of the food poisoning.

All of the deli's workers were tested Monday, she said. Results were expected from the state Health Department by the end of the week.

In 1989, about 100 people became ill after eating salmonella-contaminated chocolate mousse at the Trump Castle casino.

The family of Thomas Purgatorio of New York filed an $11 million lawsuit against the casino and Trump, blaming the food poisoning for Purgatorio's death several months later. Trump officials say Purgatorio died of a pre- existing heart condition.

The symptoms of salmonella poisoning include vomiting, fever, chills, dehydration and diarrhea.