No injuries in fire inside vacant Oklahoma City high-rise
Nov. 05, 2017
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — No injuries were reported when a fire damaged a single floor at a vacant high-rise building in downtown Oklahoma City.
Dark smoke poured from windows at the 33-story First National Center shortly before noon Sunday. Officials say the fire was contained to the 26th floor of the unoccupied building and did not spread to adjacent floors.
Firefighters say the cause of the fire was likely an electrical issue associated with extensive remodeling that is underway at the 446-foot-tall art deco structure. The First National Center, built in 1931, is undergoing interior demolition and asbestos abatement as part of a multi-million dollar renovation project launched earlier this year.
Officials say the fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, mostly to building supplies and equipment being used for the historic building's renovations.