28,000 Thermometers Recalled
Jun. 20, 2001
WASHINGTON (AP) _ A Massachusetts thermometer company is recalling 28,000 thermometers because they contain a flammable liquid that is harmful if swallowed.
The company, Nantucket Distributing Co. Inc., of South Yarmouth, recalled the thermometers Tuesday because of five reports that the thermometers broke, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported.
Two of the incidents led to injuries, the company said. One man suffered burns to his hands when the thermometer broke near a stove and ignited his clothing. Another man suffered smoke inhalation while extinguishing a fire caused by a broken thermometer.
The thermometers being recalled are made of glass. They are cylinder shaped and about 17 inches long. Inside the cylinder are floating small glass spheres filled with various colors of liquid.
The thermometers are labeled with a gold sticker that reads, ``Made in China.'' The thermometers were sold at The Christmas Tree Shops Inc. in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York from June 2000 through December 2000 for $12.99.
People should stop using the thermometers and return them to the store where they were purchased for a full refund, the company said. Consumers with questions can call Christmas Tree Shops Inc. at 1-800-876-9677 anytime.
On the Net:
Christmas Tree Shops Inc.: http://www.christmastreeshops.com/