Judge Won't Let Convict Starve
Mar. 10, 2000
LIVERPOOL, England (AP) _ A man jailed for life for the torture and killing of three children in the 1960s will not be granted his wish to starve to death, a judge ruled Friday.
Ian Brady, 62, one of Britain's most notorious killers, said he wished to die after 35 years in prison. Authorities started force-feeding Brady a month after he went on his hunger strike, which started Sept. 30.
``The steps taken by the doctors had been lawfully taken in what they held to be his best interests,'' said Justice Maurice Kay.
Brady and his lover Myra Hindley, now 57, were sentenced to life in prison for the 1966 murders of 10-year-old Lesley Ann Downey and 17-year-old Edward Evans. The two moors murderers, as they are often identified in England, buried their victims on desolate Saddleworth Moor in northern England.
Brady was also convicted of murdering a 12-year-old boy. In 1987, he and Hindley confessed to having killed two other teen-agers.
``Ian Brady and Myra Hindley were sentenced to serve life imprisonment and that is exactly what they should serve, and I believe we should do whatever it takes to keep them alive,'' said Norman Brennan, director of Victims against Crime and a representative of the families.
But Alan West, whose late wife's daughter was Lesley Ann Downey, said Brady ``has never understood pain. If he could die from a hunger strike he would get to know what pain was like.''