Police: Firework explodes in man's hands, killing him
Jul. 05, 2018
CHERAW, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 24-year-old man has died in South Carolina after a fireworks tube exploded in his hands while he was holding it.
Cheraw Police Chief Keith Thomas said the explosion hit M.C. Gallion III in the chest and he immediately collapsed around 9:50 p.m. Wednesday at the Dizzy Gillespie Apartments in Cheraw.
Thomas says Gallion was holding a firework that launches in the air from a tube. Safety rules advise people to leave those fireworks on the ground and stay well away.
Thomas says someone immediately started CPR on Gallion, but he couldn't be revived and died at the hospital.
Chesterfield County Coroner Kip Kiser says an autopsy has been ordered to determine the exact cause of death for Gallion.