Tenn. Family of Five Killed in Fire
Jan. 25, 2003
NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) _ A fire believed to have started in a wood-burning stove spread through a mobile home early Saturday, killing a couple and three young children trapped inside.
Firefighters said the blaze, reported by a neighbor about 7 a.m., apparently started after a wire screen on the stove was left open.
``We figure they got up sometime early this morning and put more wood on the fire and didn't close the screen, and it either popped an ember out on the floor or a log fell off,'' battalion Chief Bobby Knight said.
Jessica McGaha and daughters Hannah McGaha, 1, and Cheyenne Morgan, 5, were found in bedrooms, Knight said. Danny McGaha, and son Daniel, 2, were found near a window, indicating they may have tried to escape the blaze, Knight said.
Newport is about 50 miles east of Knoxville in eastern Tennessee. Temperatures had dropped into the single digits overnight in the region.