WILLISTON, Vt. (AP) — Authorities in Vermont say a fire at a waste management facility may have been caused by material that shouldn't have been recycled.

Chittenden Solid Waste District spokesperson Jonny Finity tells Local 22 that "wishful recycling" was probably behind the Tuesday fire at the Williston center. Finity says fires can be ignited by batteries and other unsafe objects that people think will be sorted out.

The fire started in an area with cardboard and other recyclable materials. Crews had to extinguish the pile piece by piece.

One firefighter was treated for minor injuries.

Williston firefighter Prescott Nadeau says conditions at the site wereconcerning. Nadeau says crews made sure they decontaminated their gear.

___

Information from: Local 22/Local 44 News, http://www.mychamplainvalley.com